Sunday, May 25, 2014

BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE!!!


I'M GOING TO THE ARIZONA TEMPE MISSION!!!!

Ok, so this week has been crazy and exciting and fun and so much has happened. 
We got site dresses (regular pioneer dresses) that we will wear when we work sites and for Trail of Hope every week.
We finished our week of dress rehearsals for Sunset by the Mississippi and we started performances!!! Which also means we had our last rehearsal at FM (not too sad about that)
We had an ant infestation in our lovely little double-wide trailer. That was an experience.
I was almost attacked by a dog again. I love dogs :P

AND IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!! Sorry I don't remember much about the beginning of the week because the last two days have just been too amazing! So my birthday was Friday, which was our first day of performances (they called them "preview performances" so if we made any huge mistakes, we could use that as our excuse, but it was really our first day of performances). So we got to go and play on the bandwagon! It was so much fun and people would dance and clap and smile and wave and take pictures as we played for them. Seriously so much fun! Lunch was delicious (as usual because the Myers are amazing) and the Bistro was decorated with cute Happy Birthday signs. I got a piece of lemon cake with strawberries and whipped cream with a candle in it for my birthday cake :) We did our afternoon bandwagon trip and then our hymn fest in the Women's Garden. And then we got to go see the stage YPMs perform in "The Promise". It's a musical about the Saints here in Nauvoo. It is incredibly moving! After the news of the martyrdom arrives, Sister Romney sings "They were no ordinary men." I know that they truly were called of God and that Joseph Smith really was a prophet who talked with Heavenly Father and restored the Church to the earth today. 

We had about 6 minutes for dinner after the show and then we had Sunset :) Elder Brague let the trumpets play Bugler's Holiday since it was my birthday and we nailed it! Man that is so fun to play (clearly with divine help since we usually have no chops at that time of day). And Sunset is just such a fun show that we just laugh and have a good time! After it was over, we changed super fast and got to go over to do Trail of Hope.

Trail of Hope is my new favorite part of Nauvoo. We get to lead groups down the trail with a gas lantern to each of the vignettes where the stage missionaries are acting as pioneers who left Nauvoo down Parley Street. Their lines come straight from the journals of these Saints so it is an incredible moving experience to look up and see the temple all lit up while hearing about these Saints who left the temple and everything they had behind because they were following the prophet and they had hope in the future. I'm so grateful for the sacrifices they made and for the opportunity to be here in Nauvoo where we get to portray this Spirit. They knew it was true and I know it's true. And just like them, I know that when our future looks uncertain, we can have faith and hope like they did.

After all the guests had gone through, the YPMs gathered for a testimony meeting in the parking lot. They sang me the most impressive rendition of Happy Birthday that I have ever heard (oh yeah, I got a card signed by all the YPMs, the band Elders gave me chocolates and a card, the Sisters gave me a necklace, and I got packages and cards from lots of other people - thank you so much everyone!!!!) And then we had one of the most incredible testimony meetings I have ever been a part of. One thing an Elder said that stood out to me was "Coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous." I love that- Heavenly Father shows His love for us through the small and simple tender mercies that we see every day. Pay attention to them and you will realize how much He loves each of us! It was the most incredible end to one of the best days of my life- I am so blessed to be here, surrounded by some of the Lord's choicest spirits. 

And then yesterday, it only got better!! We had had our normal performance morning, and we were going back to the visitor's center after our afternoon bandwagon run when I turned my head and saw mom and dad in the van driving past the wagon!!!! I knew they were only coming for one reason, so I started freaking out because I knew it meant MY MISSION CALL WAS HERE!!! After freaking out for all of Hymn Fest (where I made a fool of myself announcing Called to Serve) and Sunset, we got to go to the Seventies Hall to open my call. The Seventies Hall is the first MTC of the Church. Not many people can say they got to open their mission calls in the first MTC while wearing a missionary name badge :) coolest experience of my life. We sang "Called to Serve" accompanied by the band to start everything off. It was so powerful, and not just because of the acoustics. The Spirit was so strong as I looked out and saw all of the YPMs and my family and friends smiling. The Church is true! And then Megan cried when she said the opening prayer (and I'm very proud of the fact that she cried more than I did at my mission call opening :)

Then President Gibbons got up and talked about the importance of missionary work because we teach pure truth and people are searching for truth. He also made some very kind remarks about how I can share the Gospel just by smiling because I have such a bright smile. It's because the Gospel makes me happy!!! I have never been truly as joyful and happy as I am here in Nauvoo. And it's because I get to spend all day, everyday serving Heavenly Father. Anyways, I got to open my call after that!!!!!!! And I'M GOING TO THE ARIZONA TEMPE MISSION!!!!!!!!!!!! I leave on September 10 to enter the Provo MTC and I'll be speaking English. And I could not possibly be more excited!!!! It was a really cool experience to look down and see that it said Arizona Tempe (of course I saw it before I got to that point in reading haha) and it just made sense. I don't really know how else to describe it except that I wasn't surprised or shocked because I wouldn't expect to have seen anything else there. I know without a doubt that that is where I am needed to serve and I cannot wait!!!! I am seriously so excited!!!!!

Like I said, it's been the most incredible week of my life. Talk about a spiritual high! And the best part is that it's going to last all summer long :) I love you all and I know the Church is true!!!!

One more spiritual thought- every night I pray right before I start "Come, Come Ye Saints" with my huge solo. Last week, I had been praying that I wouldn't screw up and I'd be able to play it right. But one night I totally botched a note and it ruined the Spirit that was there as the narrator told the story of the faith and hope of the Saints. Since then, I have started praying that any mistakes I make will not detract from the Spirit but that the audience might feel the Spirit of the Saints through my music. Since then, I have not missed one note and I know for a fact that that is not something I am doing. I have divine help as I share my testimony of the pioneers through that song. Heavenly Father will help us in everything we do. I know that for a fact and am so grateful to be a missionary so I can be blessed with the Spirit and have that extra help. But I know that you can also have that help, even though you aren't set apart as missionaries, if you will just pray and ask for help.

Love you! Life is good and the Church is true :)

Sister Holbrook


Pictures:
first one- site dresses with Sister Trego and Sister Parkin!
second- my birthday on the bandwagon!!!!!!
The seventies hall
others- my mission call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment