Wednesday, July 2, 2014

And that's a real thing!

Hello family!!!

I can't believe another week has flown by. They say that in Nauvoo, the days seem like weeks and the weeks seem like days, and it's true!! Which is sad because it means we have one less week in Nauvoo. Sad day

We had lots of fun adventures this week! They included multiple huge storms (including the storm of the century), touring the Joseph Smith sights in the rain, eating cookie dough from the Elders, watching Synthesis and the Contemporary Dance Team one night (which involved awkward moments when my zone leaders saw me hugging Colin and didn't know he was my cousin), playing with Synthesis for "In the Mood", giving tours of the John Taylor Home, and lots of others! Last night a Sunset, we were inside and the whole front row was people from BG1 (the Harmons, Kapplemans, and Maduras). All of their kids were so cute and were making faces and entertaining the band the whole time. The highlight of the night was when we all jumped onto the stage for "When the Saints go Marching In" and one of their boys yelled "This is going to be a loud one!" It was absolutely hilarious and the whole band was dying of laughter along with the entire audience :)

Also, another highlight of my week (and maybe even my life) was doing dishes with a bunny in my pocket!!! I do dishes after lunch everyday to hep the Myers, and Elder Myers has this strange obsession with collecting animals. It's a real thing. Like one time he raised a raccoon he found in the woods, he feeds the birds, he'll bring in a duck or a goose, and so on. So he found three baby bunnies deserted by their mom and has been taking care of them. And he had them in the Bistro and put one in my pocket :) HIs name was Charlie and he helped me do dishes and he even poked his head out of the apron pocket and it was so stinkin' cute. I probably won't ever do it again, but it was adorable. And Sister Myers has a picture somewhere. 

This morning, I spoke in sacrament meeting. It was an intimidating and humbling experience but I'm grateful that I had the opportunity. As I sat on the stand and looked out over the congregation, I was surprised at how many faces I recognized and how many of the missionaries (Young Performing, Young Sisters, and Seniors) I know). And I thought of Joseph Smith who, as he left Nauvoo to head to Carthage, said "These are the best people and the loveliest place under the heavens." I couldn't agree more! I love the people I get to serve here with. I especially love the senior missionaries who have become my grandparents of sorts (we all have about 100 new grandmas and grandpas haha) And I really do love them all so much. I am so blessed to be able to serve here in Nauvoo where I get to meet and get to know these incredible people. 

My talk was about how temple and family history work can bring us closer to Christ. Remind me to tell you the story about quoting a napkin in my talk haha but as you serve in the temple, I invite you to think about how it will help you draw closer to Christ. It really is amazing how everything we do in the Gospel in designed to bring us closer to our Savior. 

This week was full of incredible spiritual experiences. I didn't think it would be possible to be exhausted from feeling the Spirit so much, but it's a real thing. On Tuesday, we got to go to the temple in the morning as a band. There's something incredibly special and unifying to be able to see everyone in white. We then had a meeting in the Smith Family Cemetery where we were able to stand at the graves of Joseph and Hyrum and hear about an incredible sacred experience from one of our leaders. We then had the chance to just sit and ponder and pray. It's nice to have some time every once in a while just to think and ponder. I read the story of the First Vision as I sat there. I know without a doubt that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I know he was called of God and that everything he said and he did was true! I know that he saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in the grove. I know that he translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. And I get to walk the streets everyday where he walked and talked and taught. How blessed we are to be here!

Friday was the 170th anniversary of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum in Carthage. We were a part of two different commemoration ceremonies that were both so powerful and so moving and so spiritual. Something that confirmed my testimony of Joseph Smith as a prophet was when they had two riderless horses walk away from Carthage Jail while we played Praise to the Man. I cannot imagine something more powerful than that. 

My favorite part of the commemoration meeting was when President Gibbons spoke to us. He talked about Joseph and Hyrum and how they sealed their testimonies with their blood. And then he talked about how he had just returned from a mission president seminar in Salt Lake with the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. The Gospel is now in 182 countries and 140something languages. The Gospel is literally filling the world!!!! And we get to be a part of it!!!!! Doctrine and Covenants 128:22 says "Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?" We shall go on!!! We must go on and continue to spread the knowledge of the Gospel!!!
Remember to share the joy of the Gospel in everything you do! There's no reason for us to not be the happiest people in the world! Smile at everyone and just be happy! Everything will be ok in the end. Sister Parkin shared this quote this week "Don't worry about tomorrow, for the Lord is already there." It'll all work out in the end! I love you all and can't wait to see you soon :)

Life is good, the Church is true, and I love Nauvoo!!!

Sister Holbrook :)

P.S. If any of you dare think about complaining about being sweaty this summer, just remember those of us in Nauvoo and be grateful you aren't as sweaty as you could be. And that's a real thing :)




Creepy clouds in Nauvoo preceding the storm of the century

All the sisters where the Relief Society was officially organized! 

Brass Band at the Red Brick Store in the rain :)

Me and Elder Mortenson (plus companions) because we spoke today and we matched which was totally unplanned but all the senior sisters loved it

No comments:

Post a Comment