Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My family came to visit!

Long time, no see family!! (Since it's been a whole 3 hours...)

The parts of this week that I didn't see you during would be best described in pictures, but there's no card reader today so I will have to do without pictures. But you just saw me so it's not a big deal anyway. I have learned a lot this week: a lot about myself, a lot about the Spirit, and a lot about life. Here is some of the things I want you all to learn too:
·  Serving others will bring you so much joy! The Stage YPMs have an even crazier schedule now that pageant is here and last Sunday they were struggling. So we decided to write them each a note and then we made them potluck dinner on another night. They were simple things that didn't take much time, but they clearly made a difference. It was amazing to see how much unity it brought us as a band to serve others, how much joy it brought each of us who were serving, and how much it meant to each of the stage missionaries. So serve others! It doesn't have to be something huge, it just needs to be meaningful. The best way to lighten your mood is to stop thinking about yourself. 
·  The Gospel is a Gospel of happiness and light. I have been reminded of this over and over here in Nauvoo. We have talked about how it's hard to imagine how we can share our testimonies of Christ and the restored Gospel through Sousa marches and jazz music. But the way we do that is through sharing our happiness and joy with those who see us. This truly is a Gospel of joy. I have never been so happy!!! And I love being able to see the light in others as the Gospel makes them happy too. 2 Nephi 2:25 teaches us that "Men are that they might have joy!" We aren't here on Earth to be miserable and upset and struggle, we are here to be happy and find joy. So I challenge you to look for joy in the little things every single day. No one can control your happiness but you. SO CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY!!!!!!! :)
·  Following the Spirit will change lives, including your own. There is power that comes through following the Spirit. Whether it be a warm feeling or a specific prompting, following the Spirit will bring us the joy I talked about. It also is incredible to know that the Lord trusts you enough to speak to you through the Spirit. Pay attention to it and follow it. Even if you aren't sure if it's the Spirit or your own feelings, if it invites you to do something good (and we all know the difference between good and bad), then do it! You won't regret it.
·  The Lord is hastening the spread of the Gospel and all of us can be a part of it. We can all be missionaries!! We get to be in the final scene of the British Pageant (as you saw haha) and we get to sing Called to Serve and Redeemer of Israel. I love being a missionary and I know that I have been called of God to serve here in Nauvoo. You guys aren't set apart as missionaries but that doesn't mean you can't do missionary work. Spread the Gospel!!! Be an example in everything you do! We are helping to hasten the work of the Lord, and He is trusting us with this huge responsibility. Members and missionaries have been instructed to work together so let's do it! 

We had lots of fun this week like watching Megan and Nathan dance with the stage missionaries, doing dishes with another raccoon, hearing stories about Elder Myers, and lots of other things. I seriously wish I could send some of these pictures. Oh well. 

I love you guys so much! Thanks for coming and supporting me. I love Nauvoo so much. I am so grateful for the Saints and the sacrifices they made that have made this such hallowed ground. I know without a doubt that we are sons and daughters of Heavenly Father. He loves us more than we can comprehend. I know that Jesus Christ lives and that through the Atonement, we can be enabled to do all that we need to. I know that through Him, we can become more than we could ever be on our own. I know that the priesthood is on the Earth. It is so powerful and so incredible. We don't use it often enough. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true!!! I love Nauvoo so much and I love you all!!

Sister Holbrook

Pictures we (the family) took in Nauvoo:



Look closely at where their hands are



No comments:

Post a Comment